I LOVE kale! Fresh, frozen, chopped, sautéed…any which way it comes I am sure to love. My most favorite way to enjoy kale though would have to be in this Chopped Kale Salad. I am obsessed with how the texture of the kale turns out by chopping it in the food processor. It’s unlike anything else, and there is no massaging required!
This recipe is a spin on one of my favorite salads from a restaurant we used to eat at religiously while living in Nashville. I used to crave this salad all the time and still do, that's why I'm so happy that it is so easy and simple to make with no complicated ingredients in it. The kale is combined with slivered almonds for a little crunch, currants for some sweetness, olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and a little vegan parmesan for extra flavor and nutritional value. It is great as is, paired with a grain or plant-based protein, or as a wonderful side dish to impress your friends with!
I can easily eat a huge bunch of kale when preparing it this way because of the way the food processor breaks it down and makes it so fine and easy to digest. Not to mention, this is definitely one of the best ways to get the most out of all of those dark, leafy green nutrients.
Kale is a true superfood that hails from the cabbage family. Just one cup boasts almost 3 grams of protein and 2.5 grams of fiber. It contains tons of vitamins and minerals, including vitamins K, A, C, E, folate (a type of B vitamin essential for brain health), iron, calcium, potassium, and zinc, as well as omega-3 fatty acids. Kale also contains nutrients high in antioxidants, and anti-inflammitorys which lead to the anti-cancer benefits of kale. The types of cancer that kale is specifically proven to help prevent are bladder, colon, breast, ovarian, and prostate.
Aside from the mighty and powerful kale, this salad has some other wonderful nutrient rich ingredients included in it as well such as olive-oil, lemon juice, almonds, and vegan parmesan which is high in B vitamins from all of the yummy nutritional yeast.
Chopped Kale Salad
(Makes 1 Serving)
1 bunch lacinato/dino kale
1/4 cup almonds, slivered
1/4 cup currants
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 Tbs organic extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs vegan parmesan
1/8 tsp sea salt
1. Prepare vegan parmesan if you have not done so already. I love keeping a jar of it in my fridge at all times. It's great on pastas, in salads, or sprinkled on whatever you like!
2. De-stem the kale by making a claw like motion with your pointer and middle finger. Then clean the kale in a salad spinner or simply rinse and pat dry.
3. Little by little, place kale in a food processor and pulse until chopped. Make sure not to over chop so it doesn't become mushy!
4. Add in the vegan parmesan, salt, olive oil, and lemon juice. Then pulse again to combine.
5. Remove kale from food processor and place into a bowl. Add in the almonds and currants and mix.
I hope you all have fun with this one and enjoy the deliciousness of the Chopped Kale Salad as much as I do!