These Vegan Banana Pancakes are a weekend staple in our household. We can be pretty bad about sitting at the table during the week and enjoying dinner together - we usually end up on the couch watching our favorite Netflix show with our plates on our laps. But on the weekends, we sit down together at our table, turn on some music, and enjoy a big plate of these delicious cakes!
My husband, Kyle, has never been a big pancake or waffle person. I grew up with my dad making them for us every weekend, so turning Kyle over to the "sweet" rather than "savory" side of breakfast was something I had been working on for a while - we just had to find the right pancake to do the trick! It's funny, because I had made traditional, less healthy, pancakes for him in the past and he never enjoyed them. It wasn't until I came up with the recipe for these (much healthier) Vegan Banana Pancakes that he saw the light.
The thing that is so great about these pancakes is that you can leave them plain, or you can add some yummy toppings of your choice. Both ways are equally delicious, it just depends on what your pancake preference is. Kyle and I love to add some unsweetened coconut flakes and chopped walnuts for a little crunch! You could also add some dairy-free chocolate chips or berries. Any way you go about it, you will have a wonderful whole-food, plant-based pancake that I think is by far one of the best pancakes I have ever tasted! Top with some organic pure maple syrup - seriously amazing!
These pancakes are high in protein and fiber from the flaxseed and oats, but the thing I love most about them is not only are they very healthy, they are also super easy to make! I am all about low maintenance recipes, and with this one you really only need one bowl for prep.
Vegan Banana Pancakes
(Makes 6 Pancakes)
3 ripe bananas
1 cup rolled oats, ground (gluten free or regular)
2 flax eggs (2 Tbs ground flaxseed + 6 Tbs water)
3 Tbs unsweetened almond milk
1 tsp organic pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
juice of one lemon
1. To make your flax eggs, mix 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed with 6 tablespoons of water and place in the fridge for a few minutes to thicken.
2. In a food processor, blend the oats to form a flour. Then add in the rest of the dry ingredients - cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Pulse until combined.
3. In a mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Then add almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, and the flax eggs and combine.
4. Pour dry ingredients into bowl with the wet ingredients and mix well to form batter.
5. Heat non-stick skillet to medium heat. (As long as it's non-stick, you do not have to use cooking spray, but you can if you'd like).
6. Once skillet is heated, scoop batter with a ladle and place in the pan to form your pancakes. Then sprinkle on your toppings and cook until underside of pancakes are golden brown. About 5 minutes. Then flip and cook for the same time on the other side.
7. Prepare your serving of pancakes by topping them with maple syrup, nut butter, berries, or whatever you like! Makes 6 pancakes.
I seriously think that this is the perfect pancake. I hope you all do too and that it brings your family to the table for some weekend togetherness as well!