Lately we've been having some rainy weather here and it has kept me in a continuous baking mode. I love baking, however, if I do it too much I end up eating everything I make! So yesterday I decided to whip up these super healthy, Super Squares. At least with these I can feel good about the treats I am having. These are great for a mid morning or afternoon snack, or as a little night time treat along with a cup of tea. They are 100% vegan, gluten-free, and refined sugar-free.
The reason I call these squares "super" is because of all the wonderful superfoods that make up the ingredients. Some of those superfoods included are flaxseed, chia seeds, hemp seeds, dates, and coconut oil.
One tablespoon of flaxseed contains about 1.8 grams of plant based omega-3 fatty acids which is a good fat essential for brain function and is also a great source of fiber. Flaxseed also contains lignans which are high in antioxidants, and may play a role in protecting against certain types of cancers. Eating flaxseed daily has been proven to lower your cholesterol levels, and is wonderful for the health of your hair, skin and nails!
Chia seeds are a wonderful source of plant based omega-3's as well as fiber and calcium.
With a mild, nutty taste, hemp seeds are filled with protein, magnesium, and potassium. They also contain all the essential amino acids.
Dates are a great source of vitamins and minerals along with energy and fiber. They are wonderful for regularity, eye health, nervous system and bone health, and for people suffering from anemia because of their iron content.
Coconut oil has incredible antimacrobial and anti fungal properties because of its high lauric acid content, which is considered a healthier saturated fat. Its consumption is another good way to help lower your cholesterol and blood pressure.
(Makes 10 Squares)
20 pitted dates
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup almond butter
1 flax egg (1 Tbs ground flaxseed + 3 Tbs water)
1/2 cup almond meal
1/2 cup rolled oats (regular or gluten free)
1/2 cup rolled oats, ground (regular or gluten free)
1 tsp hemp seeds
1 tsp chia seeds
1/4 cup organic dark chocolate, chopped or cacao nibs
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water in a bowl and set in the fridge for a few minutes to thicken.
3. In a food processor, ground 1/2 cup oats to make a flour.
4. Place ground oats, regular oats, and almond meal in a separate bowl. Add in hemp seeds, chia seeds, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and chopped dark chocolate. Stir until all are combined.
5. In a food processor, blend dates until they form a paste like texture. Then add in almond butter, melted coconut oil, and the flax egg. Blend again until all are well mixed.
6. Pour wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
7. Lightly "grease" your pan with some coconut oil to prevent the squares from sticking. (I used a regular loaf pan).
8. Spread the dough evenly into the pan, then place in the oven for 18 minutes to bake.
9. Let cool for up to an hour so the squares stay together and come out of the pan easier. I like to place the pan upside down and then cut the squares once they are on a plate or cutting board.
I hope you all enjoy these Super Squares as much as I do!