Clearly by now you can tell I love pasta and I love cheese. Well, cashew cheese that is! This recipe is so delicious it brings me back to my childhood days of boxed macaroni and cheese, except now I can enjoy it in a much healthier way. This recipe is very nutritious, using only whole food ingredients including 1/3 cup of nutritional yeast. I probably sound like a broken record with how much I have talked about this superfood, but it really is a fantastic way for vegans/vegetarians to get our B vitamins along with lots of protein and fiber. This dish is also 100% neutropenic and gluten free - just make sure to stick with gluten free pasta and toast for the breadcrumbs.
Baked Mac + Cheese
(Makes 6 Servings)
12 oz. package of brown rice macaroni
2 pieces of whole grain or gluten free toast
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked for at least 2-3 hours to aid in digestion)
1 cup filtered water
1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs olive oil
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or less if you don't want a spicy kick!)
1/4 tsp mustard seed
1. Place cashews in a bowl and cover with water to let soak for 2-3 hours. Once cashews are done soaking, boil water and cook pasta according to package. You can now also preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. While pasta is cooking and the oven is warming up, toast bread and place both pieces in food processor. Blend to form breadcrumb topping, then pour breadcrumbs into a separate bowl or container and set aside.
3. Drain and rinse soaked cashews and pour into blender. Add water, almond milk, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, garlic cloves, nutritional yeast and all remaining spices. Blend until all ingredients are combined.
4. Once pasta is cooked and strained, place it back into its original pot with the heat turned off. Then pour in the sauce and stir until all pasta is covered.
5. Now pour pasta into your baking dish and make sure it is spread out evenly. Cover the pasta with breadcrumbs (you may have extra depending on the size of bread you use).
6. Place baking dish into the oven uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
7. While the mac & cheese is baking, cook your vegetable of choice to have with the meal.
8. Once done cooking, let the mac & cheese sit for about 5-10 minutes to cool. Then enjoy!
Baked Mac + Cheese became one of our favorite meals to make during my treatment. Add a side of cooked spinach or broccoli and you have yourself a hearty, healthy version of a childhood favorite.