The holidays are upon us and I could not be more excited! I absolutely love this time of year. There is something so magical about it all! The snow has already started to fall here in Montana, I've begun my holiday shopping, and have even watched two Christmas movies so far. Yup, I love the holidays. And I have been very busy these last few days working on a delicious vegan holiday menu for all of you so you can continue to feel plant-strong all the way through New Year's!
This first recipe is a personal favorite of mine. I have always been a sweet potato person. I love them any which way. Baked, fried, mashed. I especially love them, though, in this Sweet Potato Casserole with an Oat + Nut Crumble. This dish screams "The Holidays" to me, and that's why I think it is the perfect addition to your family's table.
Sweet Potato Casserole with an Oat + Nut Crumble
(Makes 12 Servings)
Sweet Potatoes Ingredients:
4-5 large sweet potatoes
3 Tbs unrefined coconut oil, melted
1-2 Tbs pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
Oat + Nut Crumble Ingredients:
1 cup gluten-free rolled oats, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raw pecans, chopped
1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted
2 Tbs pure maple syrup
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1. Peel and cut sweet potatoes into cubes. Place the potatoes in a large pot and cover them with water. Bring water to a boil then reduce heat to medium-high and let potatoes cook until they are tender and can be easily poked with a fork. About 15 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. Prepare crumble in a mixing bowl while the potatoes cook. Add chopped oats (make sure they are chopped into small pieces, not a flour), chopped pecans and walnuts, cinnamon, salt, pumpkin pie spice, melted coconut oil, and maple syrup.
4. Strain potatoes and place them back in the pot or a large bowl and mash until they are smooth. Then add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Mix all ingredients until combined.
5. Lightly grease casserole dish with coconut oil and scoop in the mashed sweet potatoes. Smooth the mash with the back of a spoon and then cover with the crumble. Making sure everything is evenly distributed in the dish.
6. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, uncovered. Let cool for a few minutes before enjoying, and store in the fridge covered for up to a week.
I hope you all enjoy this delicious Sweet Potato Casserole with an Oat + Nut Crumble! Stay tuned for more plant-strong recipes as a part of my Very Vegan Holiday Menu coming soon!