Since summer is just about complete (insert cry face emoji here), I figured it was appropriate to post the recipe that I have been enjoying most this season.
This End of Summer Salad isn't anything fancy. It's quick and easy to make. It doesn't require any crazy ingredients. And I don't think I could ever get sick of it.
Salad's are admittedly my favorite meal (I even crave them in the heart of winter), but there is something extra special about going to my local farmer's market, picking up the most delicious ears of sweet corn, cherry tomatoes that taste like candy, and the absolute freshest greens you can possibly find, that make my favorite meal that much better.
Filled with the best sources of plant-based protein, fiber and healthy fats, this salad is my go-to for very good reason.
End of Summer Salad with Mustard Vinaigrette
(Makes 1 Serving)
2-3 good handfuls romaine lettuce (or greens of choice)
1/3 cup chickpeas, strained + rinsed
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup cucumbers
1/3 cup grilled or sautéed corn
1/3 cup sautéed onions
1/2 of one avocado
2 Tbs pistachios
1-2 tsp hemp seeds to top
Mustard Vinaigrette Ingredients:
1-2 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1-2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs good stoneground mustard
a dash of whatever seasonings you like (my favorites are turmeric, black pepper, basil, onion + garlic powder, and cumin)!
1. Clean and chop your greens and veggies, strain and rinse your beans and set aside.
2. Place sliced onions in a pan over medium heat. Sauté until golden, adding a splash of water (not oil) if they begin to stick.
3. If using an ear of corn, place it on your pre-heated grill over medium-high heat wrapped in foil or directly in the husk. Cook approximately 20-30 minutes, rotating occasionally. If using canned corn (make sure it is BPA-free, non-GMO + organic), strain and rinse then place in a pan over medium heat. Sauté, also adding a splash of water if they begin to stick.
4. Prepare your salad by placing greens in your bowl first, then top with your remaining ingredients.
5. Prepare your vinaigrette by whisking all ingredients together in a bowl, then pour over salad!