If you are an avid Pinterest visitor then I am sure this is not the first time to see something like this pop up on your screen. Stuffed sweet potatoes are definitely here to stay and I am not complaining.
Sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods. I always have them in the house and love coming up with new ways to enjoy them. Whether diced up with a peanut sauce in a stir fry, sliced into rounds and tossed in some pure maple syrup, cut into wedges and baked as fries, or stuffed full of all kinds of whole-food goodness. This post is all about the latter.
As far as your stuffing goes, Mediterranean, Mexican, or even breakfast style would all be great options, but the creation pictured would have to be my favorite. Sautéed with yummy kale, garlic, mushrooms, white beans, and topped with a turmeric tahini dressing that is full of anti-inflammatory benefits and is insanely delicious to boot!
Not only do sweet potatoes taste amazing but they are amazing for you too! Packed with calcium, potassium, beta carotene, and vitamins B6, A and C. They also help to control blood sugar and are a good source of dietary fiber, which helps the body maintain a healthy digestive tract and regulates digestion.
I love how easy this recipe is using minimal ingredients yet leaving you super satisfied and nourishing your body with so many wonderful, essential nutrients. Sprinkle the finished product with some extra turmeric for even more antioxidants and inflammation fighting powers and hemp seeds for extra protein and omega-3’s!
Stuffed Sweet Potato with Turmeric Tahini
(Makes 1 Serving)
Sweet Potato Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato
1 handful kale, de-stemmed
7 mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup white beans, strained and rinsed
1 clove garlic, minced
a pinch of salt and pepper
hemp seeds and turmeric to sprinkle on top
Turmeric Tahini Ingredients:
1 Tbs tahini
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 tsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp coconut aminos
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rinse sweet potato then poke with a fork a few times and place in the oven in foil or on a baking tray. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour, or until soft all the way through.
2. Prepare tahini in a small bowl by whisking all ingredients together and placing aside.
3. When the sweet potato is almost done, place garlic, mushrooms, and kale in a frying pan with a little bit of extra virgin olive or coconut oil and sauté on medium heat.
4. Once mushrooms have started to soften and kale has begun to wilt, add in the beans and continue to cook on low heat. Adding a pinch of salt and pepper.
5. When the sweet potato has finished cooking, remove from the oven and cut length wise, mashing the potato a bit to provide more room for the stuffing.
6. Stuff the sweet potato with sautéed mushrooms, kale, and beans then top with turmeric tahini and a sprinkle of hemp seeds and turmeric.
I hope you all love this new recipe and that it inspires you to create even more ways to enjoy all those delicious sweet potatoes!