Greek Falafel Salad
I could literally eat a salad for every meal and never grow tired of the nutritious and refreshing taste. However, even though I could never get sick of them I am still constantly looking for new ways to enjoy my salads without just throwing on another veggie burger and calling it a day. I love finding new foods to add, different dressings to try, far out cuisines, creative new plant-based proteins or healthy fats, and so on.
I've always been a fan of Mediterranean food, falafels being no exception, so that's why I created this Greek Falafel Salad.
Falafels! Oh how I love you so. Bursting with flavor and packed full of nutrients, it's hard to stop myself from eating an entire batch!
These falafels are the perfect addition to any salad, and also just so happen to taste amazing in a pita, a wrap, over brown rice, with tahini or hummus, or even all by their lonesome. I'm slightly obsessed.
They are also (of course!) super nutritious, packed with omega-3 rich flaxseed, protein and fiber filled chickpeas, and my favorite spice turmeric, an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory powerhouse. Vegan, gluten-free, plant-based and plant-perfect.
Greek Falafel Salad
(Makes 14 Falafels + 1 Salad)
1 15 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and strained
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup garbanzo fava flour
3 Tbs ground flaxseed
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp falafel seasoning
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp sea salt
Pinch of black pepper and red pepper flakes, or to taste
Juice of half a lemon
4 cups green leaf lettuce or romaine
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup cucumber, sliced and halved
1/4 red onion, sliced
6 kalamata olives, pitted
Easy Dressing Ingredients:
2 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp hemp seeds
dash of ground turmeric
1. Rinse and strain chickpeas then place in a food processor. Add in remaining falafel ingredients and pulse until all ingredients are combined and smooth, leaving a few whole pieces of chickpeas. (See picture of consistency below!)
2. Scoop falafel mixture with a spoon and form into patties. You could do any size you like but I prefer them on the smaller side. About 2-3 Tbs per falafel.
3. Heat skillet on medium heat with EVOO or unrefined coconut oil, then add patties and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side or until golden.
4. While the falafels are cooking, wash your lettuce, cut up the tomato, cucumber, and red onion, and prepare your dressing by placing all dressing ingredients in a small bowl and simply whisking together.
5. Place all of your salad ingredients in a bowl, then top with cooked falafels (about 4 per salad depending on size) and easy dressing.
6. Store remaining falafels in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!
I hope you all enjoy this Greek Falafel Salad! Be sure to check out the recipe here on Mr. Kate as well, and tag @nutritiouslynatalie on Instagram if you make the recipe!